The first notable change occurs before you step foot into the terminal. Anyone not travelling or at the airport for official business is not allowed inside and there are airport personnel at the doors to enforce this. Please plan to arrive early as new protocols and pre-screening processes have been put into place. Plan to arrive 1.5 to 2 hours prior for domestic and 2.5 to 3 hours prior for international departures.
A non-medical face covering is required at all times inside the airport. All airport employees are wearing face coverings as well. There are vending machines and/or shops within the terminal to purchase a face covering.
What is acceptable as a face covering:
- Non-medical mask
- Cloth face coverings
Reminder: Updated face mask requirements
Effective August 11, Transport Canada requires that guests who are unable to wear a face mask due to a medical condition are required to present an official medical note from a physician specifying this exception or they will be denied boarding.
The medical note must:
- Be issued by a medical professional;
- Be on official letterhead;
- Be dated; and
- Clearly state the guest’s name and that they have a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask.
- Please note that as per The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), face shields are not suitable replacements for a face covering and must be worn in conjunction with a face covering.
Travellers presenting any variation of a Face Mask Medical Exemption Card are still required to produce a medical certificate. This card is not issued by a government agency and not accepted for travel.
Some of the new airport cleaning protocols. These include:
- An air quality monitoring station, which provides information on each terminal's air quality and flow.
- In the check-in area, cleaners are assigned to clean the check-in counters and baggage drops throughout the day. Additionally, baggage carts are sanitized before each use.
- At security, lanes are cleaned a few times a day and bin cleaning is available after every use.
- The terminal area after security is cleaned using fogging technology multiple times a day, as well as light dusting and wiping down, with a deep clean being done every night.
- Some airports have autonomous cleaners are present throughout the terminal to keep floors clean and disinfected.
- Hand sanitizing stations have been installed throughout all Terminals.
- Some airport terminals have shut off all water fountains, so you will be hard-pressed to fill your reusable bottle and instead you will need to either purchase a bottle of water OR wait until you board the plane.